When you are looking for an ENT doctor in Fort Lauderdale to treat your hearing problems, you must talk to our audiologist at The Hearing Doctors (ENT Associates of South Florida). If you are experiencing hearing loss, our highly trained specialized doctors can discuss your symptoms with you and perform a hearing test to determine your level of hearing loss. When you have hearing problems, it can be a very hard thing to talk about, even with the doctor but luckily, our doctors will always make you feel comfortable enough to discuss exactly what is going on. No one should have to suffer from hearing loss but so many people do and we are here to help you and treat you for the best quality of life possible.
What Is A Hearing Test?
Before performing the hearing test, our audiologist in Fort Lauderdale will ask you about any symptoms you have that have brought you into the office and what concerns you have related to your hearing. Some symptoms you may experience are pain, Tinnitus, Vertigo, and previous, and related medical issues. Your ears will be examined using a tool called an auriscope which is a small hand-held torch with a magnifying glass that allows the doctor to see the eardrum and the passageway that leads to it from the outer ear. This instrument can be used to look for the following:
- Discharge- fluid comes out of the ear
- A bulging eardrum- this indicates that there is infected fluid in the middle ear.
- A dull eardrum- indicates uninfected fluid in the middle ear
- A retracted eardrum- indicates the Eustachian tube does not work properly
Hearing tests for children and hearing tests for adults are a little different. For a child, there are different tests that may be performed including:
- Automated otoacoustic emissions tests- A computer that is attached to a small earpiece plays very low clicking noises and measures the response that your child has to the sound.
- Automated auditory brainstem response test- Sensors will be placed on your child’s head and neck to check the response of their nerves to sound that is played through headphones.
- Play audiometry tests- This hearing test is performed by playing different volumes and frequencies to your child and they will carry out a simple task when the sound is heard.
Hearing Tests For Adults
A hearing test in an adult may consist of a couple different types of tests. Some of these tests include pure tone audiometry, speech perception, Tympanometry, whispered voice test, tuning fork test, and a bone conduction test. All of these tests are related to hearing loss issues. Remember, hearing issues can intervene with other senses and end up making them weaker. It is vital that you have a hearing test performed when you have hearing problems to prevent further damage to your hearing and other senses.
When you are looking for an audiologist to perform your hearing test, contact The Hearing Doctors (ENT Associates of South Florida). Our audiologist in Fort Lauderdale can diagnose your hearing disorder by performing these tests. Call us today to schedule an appointment at 786-420-6660 or visit our website! hearingaidsfortlauderdale.com