What is The Difference Between an Audiologist and an ENT?

Hearing Specialist Near Me in Fort Lauderdale

Are you or someone that you love having some hearing problems? Have you been asking, “where do I get a hearing specialist near me?” or have you been wondering which hearing specialist you need to look for in Fort Lauderdale, FL.? If this is the predicament you find yourself in, you need not to worry. We at The Hearing Doctors ENT Associates of South Florida are here to help you understand the type of hearing specialist you need to look for and also help you locate a qualified specialist near you.


Finding the right hearing specialist near me


Perhaps before pointing you to the direction of the right specialist, it is important for you to know that there are many different types of hearing specialists. These include audiologists, audiometrists, ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialists, speech pathologists, otologists and hearing instrument specialists. Of these specialists, ear, nose, throat doctor and Audiologists are the most common. By the look of the vast types of hearing specialists that are available in the medical field, this should tell you that hearing problems are indeed complex and making a decision on which specialist you need to visit can be overwhelming.


What is the difference between an ear nose and throat doctor and an Audiologist?


An audiologist is a trained hearing specialist whose specialization entails identifying and treating diminished hearing and prescribing or providing hearing aids and other types of assistive listening devices. This hearing specialist handles what can be said to be the non-medical types of hearing problems.

So, when thinking of how to locate a hearing specialist near me I would go for an audiologist when having the following issues:


  • Excessive earwax- An audiologist will help to remove excess earwax and ease the hearing problem.
  • Decrease in hearing- An audiologist can help you find out the causes of your decreased hearing power in one or both of your ears.
  • Inability to follow a conversation or hear people in a crowd- This can be a manifestation of hearing loss which can be treated by use of an assistive listening device.
  • Tinnitus- this is a buzzing or a ringing in the ears, which can either be intermittent or high pitched. A visit to an audiologist will help you deal with this condition which is a characteristic of hearing loss.
  • Age-related hearing loss- If you or your loved one is suffering a slowly progressing hearing loss over time, this can easily be remedied by the use of hearing aids.


On the other hand, an ear, nose and throat doctor or mostly known as an ENT specialist or otolaryngologist is a specialized medical doctor who is trained to treat and diagnose problems with the ear, nose, throat and larynx. They can also treat problems with the neck and head. You need to see an ENT specialist when you face problems such as autoimmune problems, ototoxicology, balance, otosclerosis, ear pain, sudden sensorineural hearing loss and pediatric hearing problems.

Contact Us

So, you have asked, where can I get a hearing specialist near me? Our answer, come to The Hearing Doctors ENT Associates of South Florida, we have a team of hearing experts who can handle any hearing problem. Consider us to be your one-stop hospital for all hearing problems. A visit at our facility is beneficial because of the expert hearing specialists we have as part of our staff. Visit us today and let us help treat with that hearing problem.

©2018 Hearing Aids, All Rights Reserved. MyCity Social

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?